Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Day 18 of Poetry Month 2018

Who am I?


What do you see
when you look at me?
Am I a lonely penguin
on the icy shore of Antarctica’s western edge,
protecting the one chick delivered
in the brightest day of summer?
Am I a mute swan
stately and serene,
adrift by day along those lazy streams of life
as long as the mighty Fraser?
Am I a coastal otter,
sleek and sly and
playful as the environment erodes
to push a fast extinction?
Am I a right whale
searching for a safer harbour and
protection for the youngest of the pod,
but knowing that the end of days is near?

No, I’m only a female of the human species,
questioning the reasons things happen as they do
and how can help stop it.


© 2018 Catherine Woods

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...