Saturday, April 29, 2017

Day 29 of Poetry Month

Today's prompt: revisit past work. Here's what I came up with. I'm sort of pleased with it. But I don't expect to win a Pulitzer for it.


Elevate the Alphabet


Anxiety, like a prickly pear, flows
Breathe in, breathe out
Cut out the fluff
Daffodils open
escalating duties
Find a path to reconciliation.

Grey clouds blanket the sky from morning to morning
Her voice, my muse, is low and I can barely hear her
I don’t need the whole plan.
Just one more swipe, one more click, one more
Kilograms of stewing beef
Long past the days of youth.

Mossy branches
native grasses, without reason;
One hundred and five
Plan and rehearse
Quickly from the church
Resurrection.

Sugar snap peas
Then I curse your name (and his) for what you did (and didn’t do),
Use a strict order, a rhythm and a rhyme. Not!
Venture on the dyke, to search
Why can’t we stay here forever?
Xenon, and not Krypton.

Your love. You are down the road. That road, we all travel
Zero ground expected.
I remember less and less of what’s important,
            I have had enough. 


© Catherine Woods 2017



No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...