Monday, April 24, 2017

Day 24 of Poetry Month

The last week of April is the end and also the beginning of many things.

You Never Said


Who are you but a woman
who cries and wishes
for a better future. Mother, don’t we all.
Who is he but a lout and a liar
who yells and spanks
his own children. He was my father.
You weren’t the first, but you were the last to fall
under his spell, whatever it was,
You had nothing in common, but me.
You were the angel, he was the devil
who tried to atone. Can’t say I forgave him.
Maybe it’s the circumstance of my birth,
maybe it’s that you never said.
Maybe I just don’t care anymore.


© Catherine Woods 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...