Thursday, April 19, 2018

Day 19 of Poetry Month 2018

First Laundry


New jeans bleed blue when washed. White socks don’t stay that way
when washed with other colours. Wool sweaters shrink if dried with towels
in 50-cent dryer load. I learned so much that first time I did my own laundry.
Away from home and responsible for myself, I thought I knew the ways of the world;
I knew nothing at all. My mother spoiled me each and every day. She made my breakfast,
lunch, and dinner from birth to age 19. I thought I knew the score; I sure did not.
I struggled those few months away at school two hours from my home. She struggled too.
The only child walked out the door, and spread her wings, and crashed and burned.
Then I stood up, and dusted myself off, and ploughed ahead
as everyone as us will do when we leave home
to feed ourselves
and do the weekly laundry.


© 2018 Catherine Woods

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...