Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Day 24 of Poetry Month 2018

A gift can be anything. What some people see as life continuing on, others see as a gift. After yesterday in Toronto, everything is now a gift to me. Here is mine to you.

You Gave to Me a Life 


You were my mother, gave birth to me
when all alone. You kept me warm and
fed me inspiration to succeed. You didn’t know
you set me on my chosen path, you kept me
isolated. I thank you for your choices,
not all right, not all fair, not all accepted.

You were my friend, though secrets always were
between us. You never pressed. You didn’t want
to know my path to hell as you would call it. You thought
my path was yours to mold. I had to make mistakes
to understand my future, forgive my past. I see you now,
long passed, as someone I would like to ask tough questions of;
now I would press for answers. (I wish I had back then.)


© 2018 Catherine Woods

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...