Saturday, May 20, 2017

Another return to the past

I rode the Skytrain every week day back in 2000 and wrote many poems about the trip and who lives nearby.

Plate of Noodles

We cram into the Skytrain,
Ray and I,
to make our way to Stadium-Chinatown
for Sunday dinner at his parent’s place.
and every week I’m served that self-same
plate of noodles, spice too hot.
And Popo demands
I answer certain questions
and detains me; poised as I am to walk the Asian line.
It derails me to enter conversations in a language where
I can’t see the roses bloom,
watch the lightning flash, or
cuddle as I hold my lover’s hand
and walk along the sea wall by the inlet,
oblivious to penetrating biased eyes.


© Catherine Woods 2000, 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...