Sunday, May 21, 2017

Looking back

Why look back? Familiarity or fear?

Tea Ceremony

Ray and I
forgot the red linen tablecloth;
instead we used a green and blue one
my mother had given us
when we moved in
together. His mother did not know
until, by accident,
his sister mentioned lunch, two weeks before,
and out of the bag it leapt.
She’s come
to tea to check me out
(Ray says not to worry,
but I will, for he is proud
and wants his mother’s blessing even though
he’s broken her most sacred law) to see
if I can hit the mark. Her setting will be higher
than the North Shore Mountains.
If I don’t pass her tests,
life will go on
just as before,
but over time
the tea cup
will be
bro-
ken.


© Catherine Woods 2000, 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...