Thursday, May 11, 2017

Second new prompt: Let's Go Backwards

Returning to 1998.

Trains to Paddington Station


Yellow soars as I open my eyes for a journey
around the world in my imagination. Many stops cut (short)
due to lack of funds. Blood rushes to the brain as I
stand on my head in a Paddington Station lavatory.
Tickets, who's got tickets? I have, said the blind
conductor, smiling as he strolls away from the platform
breaking into hideous side-splitting laughter
heard from way across the Atlantic. See you
on the other side of hell, chirped the magpie
priest; he doffs his miter with a two-foot blade of
her Majesty's finest Wilkinson.
Perhaps evening prayers are in order; if sent by express post,
they'll make it by Tuesday (only decades late for
redemption) (only half¬way to securing a rite of
atonement) after the half-past four tea-time
surrounding Aunt Lou’s Battenberg cakes left out for the
paper-boy bringing by yesterday's news. Maybe if I
just close my eyes, all the puzzle pieces will fall into
place on the oaken table left to me by
my mother's great uncle on her father's side; a present tied up
with a cherry red bow dripping abject sanity.


© Catherine Woods 1998, 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...