Tuesday, May 2, 2017

When is personal truth okay; when is it not

Things are hidden for different reasons. Those reasons change over time. People change, attitudes change, and the initial reasons for hiding things become obsolete.


On Meeting My Father’s First Wife

                                     
It was her 90th birthday. Her family,
young and old, sat around the table.
I was invited as well. I wasn’t sure why.
Somewhat uncomfortable, I felt the ‘outsider’;
conversing was awkward, the dinner dragged on.

          I learned of her when I was 10,
          learned of her son and learned of her daughters.
          When 60, I learned of her selfless action,
          learned how she changed my life,
          making it right, making me whole.

After eating, she thanked me for coming.
She held tight onto my hand,
not wanting to break hold,
keeping contact longer than I expected,
accepting me into her fold.

          She recently died.
          So the meeting, on her 90th birthday,
          was the one and only time
          I met my father’s first wife.


© Catherine Woods 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...