Monday, November 20, 2017

When It's Time to Say Goodbye to a Family Pet

One of the hardest things I've ever done. Luckily I had my family with me.

When It’s Time 

You look so sad. The pain you try to hide from me 
is still apparent in your eyes, in your gait. You walk as if on broken glass
among the ruins of a darkened castle, unannounced.
I feel your shudder as you circle to find comfort
on a friendly lap. I feel ashamed to want you
to continue living on though in great pain. I cannot bring myself to say
Goodbye.
Farewell  my love,
sleep the peaceful sleep of angel choirs (or 
whatever doggies dream of when they close their eyes forever).
I am a coward to keep your warmth with me at night.
I know the time will come when I must
let you go. Still I hold on to you and push off the Decision 
for another day, hoping that you will rebound, and live on
Forever.
By my side,
the bestest buddy that I’ve ever had,
my faithful companion on Sunday morning walks through Cloverdale,
the one I choose to spend every wintery evening with.
You raise your head and pierce my heart with your brown eyes, and then
I know I must let you go. I make the call.


© Catherine Woods 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...