Saturday, November 4, 2017

Saturday Night Thoughts

A mash-up of thoughts on Saturday night.

I close my eyes

Words appear on this page
as if from magic or witchcraft,
but they are neither. It is only my muse
speaking out
loud and strong and clearly
making herself heard. Like a siren, she
draws me into her spell; her on the rock, solid as
diamond, whispering, weaving her words through
my mortality; me flailing about, treading water
unsuccessfully, drowning in visions of
chaos and wonder.  Then I awaken to
books, papers, and abstracts, knowing I’m concrete and
sentient and safe in reality,
until the next time that I close my eyes.


© Catherine Woods 2017


I am not to blame 

You are still here
sleeping in the bed I bought you years ago
watching NetFlix’s movies I play for.
Baking and
pulling weeds:
when will you go? Not that I’m throwing you out,
but I should. I should move
all your things onto the driveway. I should change
the locks. But I can’t.
Maybe I am to blame (a little).
I should have pushed you at 20, at 23, at 25.
I didn’t because I wanted you safe.
I understand now I’ve done you a terrible disservice by
not making you go.
Ok I’m to blame. I’m a terrible mother.
Hanging on when I shouldn’t,
not charging you room and board,
making it much too easy for you to stay.
But no no NO NO NO
I am not to blame,
maybe no one is,
but things have definitely got to change.

© Catherine Woods 2017

Circle 

Leaves,
haphazardly crisp on the city sidewalk,
fortell the fated future
of our lives. Death is inevitable,
change is inevitable,
renewal is inevitable. What today is organic litter
will in six months be fuel for
Spring’s rebirth.

© Catherine Woods 2017

I was born

I was born in Montreal
on a rainy Wednesday. My father was out of town.
I went to 13 elementary schools
in 13 years. My father changed jobs more often
than he took me to Dairy Queen.
I left home to go to university. My father wanted me to become
a doctor; I didn’t. I started
to spill my emotions on the page.
I started to feel like a human being
for the first time in my life.

I was born in Kingston,
alone and afraid and
ready to live
as someone important.

© Catherine Woods 2017



No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...