Friday, November 10, 2017

Too Many Books, Too Little Time, Too Hard to Question, Too Easy to Forget

I can't be the only person questioning my reasons for being. It's taken me a long, long time to speak out. Even if no one answers me back, I know that I've done my part in opening the door and yelling at the top of my lungs.

38 Years of Forgetting

The Paris sun rose today
on a memory of another morning.
Mama was drinking her favourite coffee,
thick and sweet.
I was savouring my breakfast slowly
delaying the inevitable walk to classes
and bullying by the older and taller boys.
She was humming an old familiar tune,
a lullaby she used to sing to me at bedtime
when I was 5 or 6 and innocent and free.
It was the sun-sky  shades of pink and purple and
orange that drew me back to that morning
the last morning I ever saw Mama alive.

While I was at school, she died while scrubbing dishes.
While I was at school, my innocence was tossed away.

As the sun rose today,
I cry for Mama
and heal a little more.



© Catherine Woods 2017

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...