Friday, April 1, 2016

First day of April - Poetry Month

I'm going to post a new poem every day this April. Seriously!

Today's is relatively new. Tomorrow's will be older. I'll try to alternate throughout the month.

Say Goodbye 1
Standing alone at airport security, I wave at you
before you turn to leave me. In Canada, by myself.
You say you don’t fit in here. You say
you can’t live in my house with my dogs
and my furniture and my books and my past.
The creaky living room floor doesn’t remind you of a 2010 Christmas party.
The wall-to-wall bookshelves in the cozy den don’t wrap you like a warm Irish blanket.
The repetitive falling of leaves and hours of raking don’t bring back a childhood of memories
of mom and dad and the dogs, Buster and Cloe, on a crisp October Sunday.
You didn’t grow up in this home.
I brought you here hoping it would ease your pain,
but all I’ve done is pushed you away.
You didn’t ask me to go back with you.
You knew I’m not ready to leave.
Standing alone at the picture window in my old brick cocoon, I wave at children walking by.

© Catherine Woods March 2016

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...