Friday, August 10, 2018

A prompt to write - a sign for all of us

For  the last few weeks, J-35 has been carrying her dead calf around the Salish Sea, displaying her grief and her love.


16 Days of Grief

         In honour of J-35

You gave her life and
then she died.
You held her up
for all to see,
to see your pain,
to know you cared,
to show that grief is not limited
to human beings
watching young children shot at their school
through no fault of their own
or young soldiers slaughtered on far-away fields,
fighting in an elusive war
thousands of miles away.
Your grief is as plain as the nose of my face.
Your grief is as true as the love I feel for my daughters who live.
Your grief is an open wound to the world who’s forgotten
that grief is a necessary aspect of life and
to ignore it is
to ignore breathing.


© Catherine Woods 2018

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...