Monday, June 17, 2019

The line aren't that blurred

Hidden Lines


How is it that I see you standing in line at the checkout
but you don’t see me? Am I covered by the invisible cloak called racism
or an underused one called sexism? Are you blind to those
who don’t look like you? Then you’re in a line by yourself.

Open your eyes and see what’s standing beside you, in line
for a coffee, a passport, a car loan. We breathe as you do. And yes
we bleed. We welcome our neighbours to join us for prayers or
watch the league championship on a big screen TV.

Are you afraid of what we appear to be, not from your home town,
coloured from a new box of crayons, created by merging the lines
of humanity that started when we left the trees to cross the vast landscape
in front of us? Or are you just unhappy to be ‘woke’ on this fine day?


© June 2019

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...