Monday, May 28, 2018

An encounter on the subway

It was unexpected and brief and she'll never know it happened, but it did.

A Note for Charlotte


You sat next to me on the Yonge subway going northbound,
gabbing with a fellow student about classes and friends
and the future that seemed beyond understanding
right now. Excuse me for interrupting, but I just have to say
these words to you now as I’m reminded of my own experience
of that age and that time in my life. You won’t want to listen
to some oldie right now, but you will later, so I’ll pass on
this wisdom of my years.

Don’t rush through life blinded by gadgets and so-called
‘best buds’ who don’t have your best interests at heart.
You have time to see the whole world and make new friends.
Play that sonata, cry through that aria, embrace that minor chord.
Don’t waste your life and take that first scary step when you need to.
Don’t wait until conditions are right, ‘cause they’ll never be anywhere close.

Talk to someone who you trust about your dreams, your fears, and
your path as you see it. Your sisters are here to help you
expand, enfold, and explore.


© Catherine Woods 2018

No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...