Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Fruit of my labours after attending Room 2018 workshops

Prompts are so useful when the muse isn't visiting.

Objects

After Fanny Howe’s Out There

Manitoba is a street in East Van
Ontario is a street in East Van
Quebec is a street in East Van

A province is a province is a province

One seagull
Two seagulls
Four seagulls dive-bomb laneway garbage bins

Iron gates block you out of everything 
Iron gates hold you into the reality that is East Van

A palm tree
A bamboo
Separated by a road, a store, eternity, all time

A photographer takes many photos
Of two young women in front of a green door

Two jars of pickled beets on the sidewalk
capture the attention
of passersby (namely me)
reminding us of grannies and
smelly kitchens in 1973


© Catherine Woods 2018


The Feather


Along the beach
the water laps,
stones litter,
a single feather (crow, I think)
lies
gracefully,
a diamond among
particles of yellow sand,
a dream among
nightmares inching round,
a sweetness among
the salty coastal waters
of the Salish Sea.
A caw retains its seriousness,
permits a secret,
bring forth my attention
to this place,
quiet,
still,
almost death-like,
nearly sleeping,
solitary
in its oneness,
black
in its colour,
calling me and others,
but only I hear its song,
the others are deaf
to its caw.
Maybe the ancestors 
left it here,
a bridge to past injustices,
a bridge to hope intuitive,
a calm before the storm.

© Catherine Woods 2018



No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...