Saturday, December 3, 2011

Attempting (again) to Restart

Somehow I got interrupted in my restart to writing, so I will try again.

Bury the leg

for Hallie, may we all see you dance in heaven

along with the pain,

hate and jealously.

I took it off my body, threw it

into a freezer (beside the pizza

pops). It wasn't diseased,

I just wanted to. Nobody cried, but

a laugh at my joke 'I can't use a hand,

but a leg would be good' drove the salesclerk away

to her change room. She stayed, clothed in fear; we

left to drink beer. Grandpa built a coffin, sister sang a tune,

friends carried it over the sorrow, mom whispered a silent

prayer for my sanity (losing the other could happen,

doctors say). Don't cry; it's not alone; I left it picture

to know me by.

No more dancing, no more running and jumping

for joy; only brisk morning strolls with my crutches,

and sometimes, I think about Scooter

missing out on this glorious sunrise today. And I cry.

[©1999]



No comments:

For shame. I've forgotten to post.

Just realized I haven't posted since last May. I'll try to be better in future. Dust to Dust Someone let a fly inside the house inst...